Radioactive Memories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Words are never lost.

2 posters

Go down

Words are never lost. Empty Words are never lost.

Post  Jan van Dijk Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:02 pm

How was it possible that out of all places to go to, he ended up right here. A big, empty and useless train station, abandoned for years, littered with the remains of, well, anything really. Humans, mutants of every sort, garbage, and so on. It was a rather depressing sight to see yet it wasn't the worst. No, Jan liked this scene more than most other places in the wasteland.

It was one of the few places that remained mostly unchanged, or maybe that was just this particular train station. The buildings at this very place had suffered minimal damage when compared to the rest of the world. It was still bad, but then again, not the worst. Hell, this place was still easy to navigate trough even with all the trash, and not many people could have cleaned up here, considering the mutants here would scare them off. Thankfully they were no match for Jan's gun and sharp aim. A quick few shots at their heads and they were done with.

After having covered most of the ground inside that station Jan, luckily, found a staircase, hidden behind a torn wall that lead up to one of the platforms. Arriving out there he was greeted by a sharp ray of sunlight, and a lot of dust flying about, how nice. He looked around for a bit to see if there was a bench or sorts he could rest on. Being out for long was tiring after all.

Instead he spotted two completely different things.

“Oh no you won't, you little rat,” muttering to himself Jan got out his gun, took aim at a stray bird, and shot it. These damn mutants were a outright plague, honestly. The gun was kept tightly in his hand as the man walked over to the dead 'animal', he reached out as he began to crouch down, picking up something that wasn't to far away from the dead thing.

How on earth did a book survive? Somehow he felt relieved, to find a thing like this in the middle of no where. His relief was visible on his face, even more so when his amber eyes landed on a stable looking metal seat, attacked to a thick brick wall. He walked over to it with big steps and sat down right away.

His attention shifted to the book he held in his gloved hands, trailing his fingers over the cover. There wasn't much to be seen on it anymore, perhaps inside. Flipping it open Jan was greeted by a familiar, yet unfamiliar language. Even after all these years, he could not forget the German language. The similarities between that and his own were huge. Time surely healed all wounds, the man's dislike towards his cousin was completely vanished. Who knew if he was alive anymore anyway?

It was a strange thought, one of which Jan didn't want to bother with. At least the book would provide him distraction from thinking about this. Now he hoped he wouldn't get to lost in it that he'd lose notice of his surroundings, what if someone managed to show up? It was a good place to rest after all.
Jan van Dijk
Jan van Dijk

Back to top Go down

Words are never lost. Empty Re: Words are never lost.

Post  Toris Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Toris flinched at the sound of gunfire, there were several possiblities and the most likely was that raiders had taken up camp in this train station. He drew his small pistol and waited for a second shot or the customary threats. Silence, other than a soft muffled voice that echoed throughout the debris.

It didn't sound like raiders, still Toris carefully picked his way through doing his best not to make a sound. He prefered to avoid confrontations. The brunette strained his ears for any sort of indication of life, the shot might not have been a raider, it could have been another wanderer like himself. He continued on, each step deliberate and careful, years with Ivan had taught him how to stay quiet and unnoticed.

Relief flooded through him as he saw only a single male on a bench and not a raider, though he kept his pistol out just in case. The other seemed vaguely familiar, very very vaguely, and was seemingly engrossed in a book. Toris cleared his throat softly, "H-hello?"

He hadn't meant to sound so timid but even seated the other looked tall and he knew the man was armed.

(I hope you don't mind me posting, if I wasn't supposed to I can delete this and I apologize)

Last edited by Toris on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toris
Toris

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan van Dijk Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:51 am

Jan had allowed himself to relax a little as he scanned trough the book slowly. It still wasn't his preferred language, not in the slightest, but the vague understanding was a huge comfort. Not all was lost, obviously, if a thing such as this was able to get all the way here. His attention didn't stay on the book however, this nagging feeling of being watched tugged at the back of his mind.

His suspicion was confirmed when whoever it was cleared his voice. His guard was immediately up as he reached for his pistol as casual as possible. If the other was indeed watching him then Jan would rather not alarm this person, if his did he could easily lose the first shot to that person.

The soft sound however was followed up by a voice, somewhat timid, not making the owner sound like a real threat. Despite that Jan knew not to lower his guard. He looked up in the direction where the voice had came from, his eyes narrowed with some suspicion. Spotting the person wasn't very difficult, with no one else being around and all. He was familiar, his light accent only helped to that fact, but where could Jan possibly know him from?

While one hand rested on the handle of his pistol the other reached inside a pocket, leaving the book untented on his lap, to pull out his age old pipe, placing it in his mouth. Jan didn't plan to smoke, not using that old thing. It was more a distraction to his mind.

He bit down on the end of the item, with little force so it would not be damaged before he nodded, greeting back that way. “What are you doing here?” his expression softened a little, hoping he'd come across a little less threatening. This guy didn't even look like he could pose a threat to him, intimidating him on purpose wouldn't be necessary.

(Don't worry about it, I'm glad someone joined me c: )
Jan van Dijk
Jan van Dijk

Back to top Go down

Post  Toris Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 am

Toris trembled slightly, he could feel it in his hands. He quickly regretted catching the other's attention, he had been painfully shy before the bombs had been dropped and years spent alone hadn't helped matters. He'd only been outside the vault for a few months and had spent more time avoiding people than speaking to them. And the fact that the man had placed his hand on his pistol worried Toris.

"I'm-I'm just passing through, sir." Toris finally answered his voice still soft and a nervous 'sir' tacked on out of habit, "I heard there was a settlement near Ukraine. I-I may have gotten lost though..."

And that was the truth, he really had no idea where he was. He'd lost his sense of direction in his search for his friends and now he had his hopes pinned on a large settlement that he had no idea how to reach. Maybe this man knew? Maybe he could ask for help?

"Do you-Do you know where it is?"
Toris
Toris

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan van Dijk Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 am

Jan studied the other man's behavior, bit of a nervous guy wasn't he? A quick look at his clothing told him enough about the possible reason. The brunette didn't look like he belonged on the surface, dragging himself trough the wasteland, to many things made it obvious he belonged in one of the shelters. He felt bad for him with this suspicion, but he had to admit he was impressed if this man managed to keep himself standing at all.

Finally Jan relaxed, feeling it was safe to do so. He listened carefully to what the other had to say, not exactly a easy job with him talking so soft and all. Now that was a bit frustrating. He said something about lost?

“Ukraine, hm?” he repeated softly, staring up at the sky rather than keep his attention on this other man. He tapped his fingers on the cover of the book in a impatient manner, he knew what the other meant, where the place was that he spoke of, the frustrating thing now was something simple to ask, 'where are we?'.

One could assume they ended up having ventured into Germany, given the book he found was German, yet assuming so would reckless. Jan frowned deeply, not particularly happy that he hadn't paid enough to attention to even remember where he was. He had intended to head for Poland after hearing a few rumors, about resources his people wanted. Then shouldn't it be safe to say he was around there? Surely he hadn't taken a wrong turn anywhere, he was positive of that.

Perhaps this man knew. Taking in a deep breath he slowly released it, carefully removing the pipe from his mouth as he, once more, look at the brunette. “If you can tell me where we are, or at least know where I can find out, I'll help you.” The frown that had been stuck on his face earlier had lifted for most part, but was still there. He hadn't planned on doing something like this but this man clearly needed help.
Jan van Dijk
Jan van Dijk

Back to top Go down

Post  Toris Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:39 am

Toris gave a relieved smile and lowered his gun before holstering it. The tension seemed to just disappear, at least for him, and he didn't mind stepping a little closer.

"I'm sorry, I... the only thing I know is that I was heading for Poland, I'm not sure if that's where we are," Toris answered feeling supremely stupid and useless. The first thing he'd tried was to find Feliks, to make sure the blond was all right, but he hadn't found him and it was starting to look bleak.

"Ah!" Toris gasped, "I'm so sorry, I shouldn't be so rude, my name is," He paused, almost saying Lithuania which would make no sense to the other man, "Toris Lorinaitis." He flashed a nervous smile and held out his hand, hoping that it wouldn't be considered offensive somehow. Standing this close there wasn't any doubt about the man's stature and the last thing Toris wanted was an argument.
Toris
Toris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum